Saturday, May 17, 2008

Utah Fun!

We arrived in Utah on Thursday at about 11pm Mountain Time. The drive up was rather uneventful until the last hour. After 4.5 hours in the car, Meredith was ready to be out of the car seat. So, to keep her entertained, I must have sung the "Different Strokes" theme song about 100 times. I don't know why, but she loves that song. I was eager to get to my brother's house too, so much so that I got off the freeway an exit early. As soon as I realized it, I pulled a U-turn and headed back toward the freeway. Apparently, you're not supposed to make a U-turn in that intersection, because I got pulled over by a cop. I told him I was sorry and that I was lost. He asked for my license, which is from TX, and then questioned why I had a rental car with Nevada plates. I explained to him the whole story. He took my license and went back to his car. I was annoyed because I had been driving for 5 hours with no problem and then as soon as I got off the freeway in Utard, I get pulled over! Ugh! Fortunately, he was nice....he looked up my brother's address for me and gave me directions and told me to drive safely. Phew!

Since then, Meredith and I have been pretty busy...on Friday we went to a play at Bryson's school...they've been studying plants and seeds and made a play about how a seed gets planted and then grows into a plant. Some kids were plants, some were the wind, some were the stem and the petals, etc...they each drew a picture of what they were and wore it around their necks...it was really cute. I can't wait until Meredith is doing cute little school plays and stuff like that. After the play we went to WalMart and then Meredith and I drove up to Riverton to see my friend Julie. Julie lives in Washington State but is here in Utah for the weekend to attend a family wedding. I was so glad it worked out so we could get together and see each other. It was a lot of fun to catch up with her and to meet her little boy Mason.

Today we spent the morning at the Provo City Library at their Children's Book Festival. My sister Kristyn did a reading and Q&A for her book "Cool Daddy Rat" and then a signing. It was fun to hear her read the story and to see little kids come up to her and ask for her autograph. Meredith was excited to meet her cousins, although initially she was a little overwhelmed by all the attention. But she quickly warmed up to all the kids and had a great time playing with them. There was a big ballroom that had a bunch of fun activities for the kids. Each child got a free book and there was a puppet show, tables for coloring pictures drawn by some of the illustrators involved in the festival, tables for making bookmarks, and the kids could even get a caricature drawn of them by one of two illustrators. I wanted to get Meredith's picture drawn, but the line was so long, and Meredith hadn't had her morning nap and was cranky, so I ended up getting out of line. I took Meredith back to John and Jodi's and we took a nap together. Then I called Kari and made arrangements to meet up with her and Matt for dinner at Cracker Barrel. It was fun to see them. Meredith was a little unsure of Matt...when he tried to hold her, she clung tightly to Kari. Every time she made eye contact with him, she'd kinda duck her head down and give him a shy look. We're going to get together on Tuesday, so hopefully Meredith will warm up to Matt and not be so shy.

Here's a bunch of pictures:


Breakfast with Bryson, Saedree and Annistyn


Bryson's Seeds Play:


This was my favorite of the pictures the kids wore around
their necks...I love "Puppckins"! LOL!

Ridin' a Horsey


Playing with my friend Julie and her son Mason:





The Provo Children's Book Festival:


The Children's Circle. Kristyn read her book first.

Then she helped the next author by holding up the pictures for everyone to see.

Liam got to go up and help one of the authors...her story was about pirates and she was trying to get everyone to say, "Aargh!"... Liam yelled it out really loudly, so she called him up to help lead everyone else in saying "Aargh!"

Playing with Kathryn and Saedree

Dinner with Aunt Squirt and Matt:

2 comments:

Kari McCallon said...

Thanks for Dinner! It was fun! Hey if you want to go to the temple on Tuesday around 1 let me know and I can take off work and watch her. Matt said he was a little nervous about watching a baby all by himself. But I don't mind taking off work and watching her if you want to. I just have to know like monday so I can tell him. See ya!

Kimberly said...

I'm jealous she is with Kari and not me :( sad day. Hurry home we miss you guys and I need a work out partner major. Adam is finding us some interesting videos to work out to :)