Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Great Flood of 2008!

So on Monday I was doing laundry. I was on my 3rd load...started up the washing machine and then headed off to fold the other two loads and tend to Meredith. Several minutes later, I went to throw something away, and discovered that there was 2 inches of water from the laundry room all the way through the breeze way and almost into the kitchen! That's a lot of water!! I had to wade through the ankle deep water to get to the washing machine. Apparently, the sensor that tells the washing machine that it's full of water went out, so it just kept trying to fill with water. I turned the washing machine off and frantically tried to call Court who was down the street working on a neighbor's computer. After about 20 calls to Court that went unanswered, I called Kimberly and had her bring over the shop vac we had left at her new place. Court finally came home and we set to work trying to suck up all the water. Our little shop vac only held 2 gallons of water. So, it was filling up every 13 seconds. We finally called Court's mom who was at the mall, and had her go to Sears and get the biggest, baddest shop vac she could find. She came home with a 16 gallon vac, which we filled up 2 and a half times with water! If I had to guess, I'd say in all we sucked up a good 75 gallons or so of water! I felt so badly...of course this would happen when I'M doing laundry! In the end, we got it all cleaned up and brought in the washing machine Court and I brought with us from Utah for everyone to use until we could get the broken one fixed. Yesterday I washed and folded 4 full loads of towels! I'm just glad there was no major damage! Here's a few pictures of the clean up:

When we started, the water was up to Court's ankles...we'd already sucked up about a dozen or so gallons of water before I thought to take pictures:


The water went all the way back to those shelves you see behind Court!
There was A LOT of water!

5 comments:

Kari McCallon said...

Aww man. How come no one ever tells me about anything?

mccabe44 said...

So not fun! With the way my luck has been going lately I am surprised something like that hasn't happened to me yet!! lol

Paige said...

I'm glad there wasn't major damage and that it was fairly easy to fix and clean up. What a mess.

Unknown said...

Don't feel bad. It could've happened to anyone! We all love you no matter what! :)

Matt and kim Cloward said...

Sounds like you had quite the day. Hope things get better for you.