Thursday, October 16, 2008

Walking Hazard

I was so excited about Meredith's new found walking skills. But, now, I think I'd rather she just crawl. Last night she was walking around the house and got going too fast and did a complete face plant. I didn't see exactly what happened...first she was walking around, I looked away, and then next thing I know she is on her stomach with her face on the floor. I picked her up and discovered that her nose was bleeding. She didn't want me to touch it, or even look at it. So, by the time I got her cleaned up, there was blood all over me and her. Court came home for work just as I was getting her calmed down. I'm sure it was a site to walk in and find your wife and daughter with blood on them and your daughter crying her eyeballs out. Fortunately, he took her and was able to settle her down. Court has a gift that way...he can always get her calmed down. Then, this morning, I was just about to put Meredith down for her morning nap. She was walking excitedly toward me, got going too fast, and face planted again! This time, when I picked her up, she had blood on her face and inside her mouth. Again, she didn't want me to look at or touch it. She kept trying to bury her face in my shoulder, which resulted in me getting blood all over me again. It was frustrating because I couldn't tell where the blood was coming from. I didn't know if it was her nose, lip, teeth, or what? We struggled for a bit and I was able to finally see that she was bleeding from her upper lip. I cleaned her up and gave her a little Tylenol for the pain. I tried to get her to suck on a popsicle to help with the pain and swelling...she tried it a couple of times, but then didn't want any part of the popsicle. After crying her head off for at least 30 minutes, she finally got exhausted and fell asleep. I wondered if it was okay to let her sleep? She hadn't hit her head, just bloodied her lip. I called my sister-in-law Caryn, since she has dealt with these types of things with her own kids, and she said it would be okay for Meredith to sleep. I put her in her bed and gave her her blanket, which she immediately snuggled up to and said..."Oooohh...nigh nigh..." Then she went back to sleep. She woke up three hours later with a puffy lip. She seems to be in an okay mood, but she looks like she's puckering her lips. Here's a few pictures....she doesn't like me to photograph her boo boos, I guess, because she wouldn't let me have a very good picture.




3 comments:

Kimberly said...

poor baby

Matt and kim Cloward said...

Poor little girl. Unfortunately she will probably have many more of those little boo boos. At least she hasn't broken any of her teeth yet like brandon and I did when we were her age. (I knocked on wood really fast). Alanna got married on Fri. and Brandon blessed his little baby today. Matt and I couldn't be there for the blessing. Hope all is well with you guys besides the boo boos.

Jodi said...

lol that is only the beginning... there will me many many more of those. Just wait when she dashes into the street or into the parking lot, fun fun times. My kids have fallen on there head so many times some resulted in stiches others required a bandaid. The best thing to remember... they are kids and they will get hurt. No stress!!!