Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mystery Rash

I'm a first-time mom. And yes, I freak out about some things because I just don't want anything bad to happen to my child. Meredith has a mystery rash, and I'm worried. I first noticed it on her face yesterday, and today it has spread to her trunk...both stomach and back (even her little bum cheeks!). It's not on her arms or legs...at least not yet. Anyone ever seen a rash like this?

My sister-in-law and I are theorizing that it's due to lactose intolerance. When Meredith was on formula, we had to put her on the lactose free stuff because she threw the other stuff up a lot. A couple of days ago I got the idea that she wasn't getting enough Milk, so I increased her milk intake. Then yesterday, after lunch (and a large glass of Chocolate Milk), she got a stomach ache so bad, she was crying, almost shrieking, in pain. It got so bad, I had to let Caryn take over because I was crying my eyes out too. She finally burped and then relaxed and fell asleep. Later that day she passed a ton of gas. Then she got the rash. And today, after eating some ravioli with cheese in it, the rash got worse. She's also been pretty constipated, which, from what I've read, is a symptom of lactose intolerance too. And she's had a fever for the last two days. Of course, she's also cutting some major teeth, so I have been chalking the fevers up to that.

I also think the rash looks a bit like Fifth Disease. I had Fifth Disease when I was in college and had a similar rash. So, that's a possibility too.

Anyhow...here's some not-so-great pictures of it. I couldn't get her to hold still, and the few times she did, it just didn't photograph well. But, I think you can kinda get the idea of what this looks like. Court gave her a blessing tonight, so hopefully that will help. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.





5 comments:

Betty said...

Hey Janelle...a rash is usually always an allergy to something. It could be food, medicine, soap, etc. Try giving her some Infant's Benedryl for a couple of days. Only thing - it will either make her sleepy or it will wire her up!

Julie said...

I'd say it's an allergy as well - or lactose intolerance is something to keep an eye on. I'm not thinking fifth disease. . .It's not typical for kids under age 5. . .Aidan gets it along with several other kids at school - fifth disease looks like rosy cheeks - like they've been slapped in the face and has a cold beforehand. Good luck - hope it clears quickly!!!!

Kristyn Crow said...

Janelle, I think it's roseola. That's my guess. It looks like roseola, which is usually accompanied by fever. My kids had that before.

Here's a good website about it: (Cut and paste)


http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html

Janelle said...

Hello everyone! Thanks for your input! I'm glad to report that the mystery rash is almost all gone. I'm leaning towards a milk allergy because since I have taken her off of milk and dairy, he rash has faded, she's no longer constipated, and she's generally a much happier girl. I'm going to wait a few days and then try giving her some cheese or something like that just to see if the symptoms return. I'm hoping if it is a Milk allergy that she'll outgrow it...or else it's going to be a challenge to find things for her to eat...she's picky enough without having to eliminate dairy from her diet. Anyways...thanks for responding!

Lindsey Makler said...

Hey, I don't know you, but my 9 month old son has a rash just like that(I was researching and your page came up) he doesn't have it on his checks, but on his chest, neck, forehead, upper arms and neck. **I think that it is Ezema.**